Saturday, February 22, 2014

I'm No Expert...

On March 15, I will be heading to Accra, Ghana with eleven other teachers from all over the United States. I will be visiting with the Ministry of Educationa nod staying with a host school in Sekwi Bekwi.  The State Department has been kind enough not only to pay for the trip but to also allow us (the teachers) to decide how best to use this trip to improve our capabilities as educators. For anyone who knows anything about educational policy and how it gets disseminated into schools, you know that it is rare for teachers, the experts in the field, to have a say over what best practices are actually best for our kids. In short, this is a rare treat.

After months of thinking about what to do with this enormous opportunity (and being asked repeatedly why I am going to Ghana), I finally have an answer. I want to not only spread the good word about globalized curriculum and skills, but I want teachers to know how to do it should they choose to do so. In short, I want to provide a starting point for teachers who travel, host exchange students or staff, or immerse themselves in any other international exposure opportunities to know how to capitalize on that experience. This is no easy task and there is no clear answer yet. But it is evolving and morphing into something real, something good.

Stay tuned for ideas (many terrible, some hopefully good). Feel free to leave comments and suggestions. My blog is your blog.


2 comments:

  1. My Fabulous 6th Grade class here in Albuquerque, New Mexico want to say.....

    Analiya: Good luck, have safe journeys and have fun.

    Andrew: Have some safe travels and good luck. Eat good food.

    Gaige: Don't get bitten by anything :)

    Ian: Please share with us what the environment is like there?

    Lucia: Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do my best to accommodate all of those requests. Thanks for reading!

      Delete