Sunday, February 2, 2014

Gateway to Global

A few years back, I was sitting in a staff meeting when my former principal played this video:  What is 21st Century Education.  My initial thoughts? Vexed anger! How dare he show this "motivational" video that:
  1. Made me feel insufficient and outdated as a teacher,
  2. Not give me any tools or concrete suggestions to make me a better educator.
It was meaningless advice.  He may as well have said, "Don't believe everything you read on bathroom walls."

Fast forward a few years and now I am a fellow for the State Department's Teachers for Global Classrooms (TGC) program.  Throughout this fellowship, I have developed an idea of what globalized education is, why it is (in)valuable in the 21st century, and (most importantly) how I can create and implement a successful globalized curriculum in my own classroom.  The TGC program teaches pedagogy and then places educators in the field to try out and apply what they have learned throughout the year.  This fellowship immediately benefits the fellow, their peers, and their students.

And now, here we are.  In March, I will be going to Ghana for two weeks to practice what I preach.  What will I create and implement from this experience?  The answer is muddy at best, but I am confident it will unveil itself as the experience transpires.  That, along with the other miles of trials I will surely have as a TGC fellow and globalized educator, will be documented in Gateway to Global.

For fellow educators who are reading this blog, I hope that you find usable ideas, suggestions, and inspiration from my experiences.

For students who are reading this blog, I hope that you feel every bit a part of this journey as if you were there with me and become inspired to do something global yourself.

For parents who are reading this blog, sorry about the language.

This world is a prodigious place.  I hope to do my part to make it a little more accessible for everyone.

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment