Sunday, March 23, 2014

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things

For those who don't know (because I did not make it clear), Sefwi Bekwai, the community I am staying in, is located in the Asante (Ashanti...same thing) region. This is in the middle of the state. It has a long, rich history as the strongest tribe. Today, it is rain forested area that is filled with people who are very kind to travelers, very animated when they speak, and very reflective on their daily lives.

These are just a few of the things I like and find interesting about where I am staying. Other things I find interesting and really enjoy about Sefwi Bekwai, Ghana:

1. The food! It is so, so tasty. The soups and rice dishes are very spicy. Of course there are some dishes that are less than appealing. But for the most part, it is quite enjoyable. Especially the roasted plantains (called coco).

2. The love of soccer. If you do not have anything to talk about, the topic of soccer (football) is one that can make strangers quick friends. Side note...the US is playing Ghana in the World Cup. I am reminded of this several times a day.

3. The beauty. This place is so, so beautiful. I am surrounded by the lushest green hills that eminate a sweet, citrusy odor at all times. There is flora and fauna I have never seen before. Many bright colors attract all sorts of odd looking birds. There is something new to be seen around every corner.

4. The appreciation of education. Many people are proud of where they went to school and like to show off their extensive knowledge. They are open to being humble servants of the mind. It is something I will surely take away with me.

5. The people. So kind, so generous with their time, and so interesting. Everyone has a very unique story and something they can contribute to the conversation, no matter their stature in life.

Of course, there are things I do not like. I am constantly being pointed at and called 'O'Brooney,' which means 'white man.' They see very few of us up in these parts. The Mosquitos and bugs are prolific. And finally, did I mention it is hot? I don't think I have ever sweated this much. Ever.

Regardless of the inevitable high and lows that traveling like this brings up, there are many things to be learned and absorbed. I hope I can carry home with me the favorite things as much as possible.




4 comments:

  1. https://www.google.com/search?q=putin&client=chrome-mobile&espv=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sboxchip=Images&sa=X&ei=gDkwU-3iGY3I0AGh84CABg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=567#biv=i%7C1%3Bd%7Cyx8dnMeSC6obuM%3A

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.google.com/search?q=putin&client=chrome-mobile&espv=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sboxchip=Images&sa=X&ei=gDkwU-3iGY3I0AGh84CABg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=360&bih=567#biv=i%7C62%3Bd%7CfS9vvZzTKHenNM%3A

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/putin-power1.jpg
    What is your least favourite thing you've tried?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love plantains, too!

    And you look really tan :)

    ReplyDelete